When it comes time to purchase a box trailer, there are many different factors that you need to consider. Even the Australian government has a comprehensive list of requirements that trailers must follow.
Aside from safety and affordability, you also want to make sure you get the best trailer for your needs, and that it has all the features you are looking for. So if you’re looking to buy box trailers in Sydney, here are seven essential qualities you should consider.
1. Weight Capacity
A box trailer should be able to hold up to its weight capacity. That’s because even though you may not need your trailer to push the maximum amount, it is important—for safety reasons—that your box can support what is needed of it and more.
- Piece of advice: When test driving a potential box trailer, talk with the seller about helping you load all the weight you believe you will be putting in it. This is to see if there‘s any excess deformation of the walls or floor.
2. Ease of Access
Some trailers come with an easy access mechanism such as a ramp door, but most trailers require manual assistance to get in and out of. Make sure you consider this before your purchase since a trailer with good ease of access can contribute to efficient loading and unloading, especially during an emergency.
- Piece of advice: When deciding between two box trailers, be sure to conduct a loading and unloading test. This can help you determine which one is easier and safer for you or your belongings.
3. Floor Strength (Material)
The floor of a box trailer can come in many different types of materials such as steel or aluminium. The material of the floor can impact the overall weight capacity and the price of a trailer, so it is important to know what you are looking for.
- Piece of advice: When shopping for a box trailer, look around at different trailers with different flooring materials and see which one would suit your needs best. Aluminum is lightweight and resists corrosion, while steel is generally more durable.
4. Side Wall Material
Just as with the floor, the sidewall material can impact a trailer’s weight capacity and cost. There are many different materials to choose from including aluminum or steel. If you want a lighter option aluminum may be for you but they’re often more expensive than the highly durable steel.
- Piece of advice: When shopping for your box trailer, look around at different options to find what works best for you and your needs. Additionally, you can ask the seller which sidewalls are better suited for your weight needs or purpose.
5. Interior Height
The height of the interior of a box trailer is very important. It affects how much weight you can load into your box and it can also determine the size of items you will be able to fit into it.
- Piece of advice: When looking at different options for a box trailer, be sure to take measurements before making any purchase decision. This way, the trailer you’ll purchase has enough space to accommodate the items you’ll be transporting.
Most trailers will come with a few standard features that are included at the time of purchase, but some also come with certain accessories that can improve your overall experience. These may include spare tire mounts, tie-downs, lighting options, etc.
- Piece of advice: When looking at different box trailer options, read the features list to see if there are any additional accessories you can purchase. For instance, some models may come with a spare tire mount or additional lights.
Price is probably one of the biggest factors when it comes time to choosing a box trailer. Some trailers will be more expensive than others, but that does not mean it is better or worse. It all depends on what you are looking for in a box and your needs.
- Piece of advice: When looking at different options for a box trailer, compare different features and prices to find what works best for you. For example, you may want a more expensive trailer that has better flooring material, but if you are unsure about the price of it all make sure to ask questions. When in doubt always get a trailer with a higher weight capacity for your safety.
Keep These Qualities in Mind
When it comes time to choose a box trailer, there are many different factors you need to consider. The seven qualities listed in this article are a great starting point, but make sure you take into account your own needs and preferences before making a purchase.
Trailers come in all shapes and sizes, so be sure to measure the space you have available before committing to any one option. Additionally, always be sure to compare prices between different sellers before settling on a final decision.
King Kong Trailers has superior quality box trailers for sale in Sydney and New South Wales. If you’re looking for the right trailer for your job, contact us today to book a trailer inspection.